Saturday, June 06, 2020

GOOD AFTERNOON GOD

Dining table is one of the few places where we all gather together to have lunch. We pray prior to having our lunch. My son always starts his prayer with a greeting. "Good afternoon God." His sisters gigle in silence while he continues the prayer. No better than his sisters I also felt that there was something wrong with his habit. But that was only in the beginning. 
I began to wonder why people are expected to pray in the way others do. Rituals are meant to add referential meaning to make canonical meaning intelligable. As long as the abstract meaning of a prayer is delivered be it through a different ritual, I do not see anything wrong with that. 
Eversince that time I let him pray in the way he is comfortable with. The message and the meaning are there, it is just the way he does it differs from others. 

No comments: