Friday, June 07, 2019

WOBBLY ME


Two weeks ago I was appointed as member of a commission in my church. I did not know what’s coming ahead, but I take it with a belief that any good deeds is never lost. Being in charge of communication and organization, my part is to coordinate the organization side. I have never had any experience with the church, although once in a while the synod asks me to give a hand on their strategic planning. But dealing with it at the grass root level is a different case.

One thing I am ready to swallow is the fact that they do not show full commitment. It is understandable because contributing time to church is listed as at the bottom of one’s priority list. There are many other priorities listed on the top of the list: work, family, friends and me are of course are on the top. So I’m trying to be ready for it.

Another reason is we belong to totally different groups of people. Adapting to their mind is quite a problem for me. I am not trying to say that I know better, but my experience in an organization had brought me far to understand strategic management. It is not easy to drag people to think from an activity level to a strategic level. You might end up in a delusional state where people make faces when they heard you talk of the strategic level. As with the later I have encountered people saying: be more practical!!!.  They expect to see the practical side rather than the strategic side, while in fact both are two sides of the same coin. The biggest problem that I have to encounter is the fact that most people live in the practical side and are used to doing it for so many years.

New things bring uncertainty in life.  It must be age that made me feel wobbly

No comments: